Walk-in allowed for unvaccinated individuals

KUCHING: Eligible individuals who have not received their Covid-19 vaccine jabs are urged to go to any public vaccination centres (PPVs) to be vaccinated.

Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) advisor Datuk Seri Dr Sim Kui Hian said no appointments needed for the group.

“We need your help. Anyone in Sarawak who is eligible but not vaccinated yet, please walk in to any of the public PPVs for Covid-19 vaccination. There are no appointments needed,” he said in a Facebook post last Wednesday (July 28).

Dr Sim said it is important that members of the public get their Covid-19 vaccine jabs as it would protect themselves and help the population achieve herd immunity.

“Since scaling up vaccination in Sarawak in June last month, we have seen a drop in number of deaths as well as Category 3, Category 4 and Category 5 of Covid-19 cases,” he said.

He said for Category 3 of a Covid-19 case, it would exhibit symptoms with x-ray changes, Category 4 is for patients requiring oxygen while Category 5 patients needs intubation and ventilators.

Dr Sim said the numbers also involved Covid-19 cases where the patients tested positive with the Delta variant.

“I was told that from 9,146 individuals who are infected by Covid-19 between July 1 to 25 in Sarawak, 37.9 percent are vaccinated, 36.7 percent are eligible but not vaccinated while 25.3 percent are ineligible as they are below 18 years old.

He said for those who are eligible but not vaccinated, 12.5 percent are over 60 years old and the remaining 87.5 percent are aged between 18 to 60 years old.

“Less positive (Covid-19 cases) are seen from those with two vaccine doses as July progresses. But we still need to be vigilant and adhere to the standard operating procedures (SOPs),” he said.

Dr Sim said he is confident that more places such as eateries with dine-in services, market and shopping malls would only allow vaccinated individuals to be in their premises.

“Vaccinations allow us to live safer with Covid-19,” he said.

Previous articleSCOVAG to advise state government on booster shot, teen vaccination
Next articleFour requirements before entry into Brunei