Work on barrier, guard rail begins in June

Dr Sim (second left) listens to a briefing on the road upgrading project.

KUCHING: The concrete barrier and guard rail along Batu Kawa Road will be built starting next month, said Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Seri Dr Sim Kui Hian.

He said the RM2.4 million project was still in the tender stage, with more than 50 contractors participating in the process.

The concrete barrier and guard rail are for the accident-prone section of the road.

Cabut undi (drawing of votes) ready this month, with work expected to start by June,” he said in a Facebook post on Saturday (May 1).

Earlier, Dr Sim visited the construction site of the RM1.5 million Batu Kawa road upgrading project from the Malihah Matang junction to Batu Kawa Bridge.

“(The project) is slightly delayed because workers have been placed under Covid-19 quarantine. Please drive with care as the road work is not completed yet,” he said.

Last month, the Batu Kawa assemblyman said the Batu Kawa Road would be upgraded in three phases with the federal government’s funding of about RM6.4 million.

He said besides the RM1.5 million road upgrade, the project also included the installation of a 2.4km concrete divider barrier and 540 metres of steel barriers along Batu Kawa Road from the Stephen Yong junction to Batu Kawa Bridge.

He said apart from the two packages, the federal government had allocated RM2.5 million to upgrade the federal road from Batu Kawa Bridge to Paragon Concrete end of last year.

Dr Sim said Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg in January this year announced the approval of a new 9.5km dual carriageway from Stephen Yong Road to FRC, Matang with a budget of RM250 million.

The project is now in the design stage now before tendering.