KUCHING: The Jelajah Belia Sarawak 2020 programme has resumed after being shelved due to the movement control order (MCO) during the past few months.
The programme which took place in Betong was implemented under strict adherence to the standard operating procedures (SOPs) by the authorities.
Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah said the programme which was launched last year resumes this month along with the other activities with it.
“The programme has been postponed since March this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic and many of the scheduled events had to be rescheduled in order to comply with the MCO which started on March 18.
“It is now been resumed with the SOPs strictly adhered to,” said Abdul Karim who is also Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister.
He said following the public gathering provisions allowed by the recovery movement control order (RMCO), the state’s youth tour programme was organised in Betong and involved the participation of 200 youths.
“This programme also aims to encourage the involvement of the youth and their associations in various healthy activities as well as to give them the opportunity to showcase their talents and potentials.
“At the same time, this programme is also to encourage the youth to cultivate the spirit of responsibility, leadership and volunteerism among the young people in Sarawak.
“This is where 43 percent of the local population comprise those between 15 and 40 years old,” he said during his address at the programme which was held at Dewan Tan Sri Datuk Amar Stephen Kalong Ningkan, Betong yesterday.
Abdul Karim also called on the local community to provide support and cooperation in nurturing their youths who have the potential of becoming successful leaders in the future.
Also present during the event were Layar assemblyman Gerald Rentap Jabu, Sarawak Youth and Sports Ministry acting permanent secretary Nancy Jolhi and Betong Resident Friday Belik.