Uggah speaking at the press conference. On his right is Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Seri Dr Sim Kui Hian. Photo: UKAS

KUCHING: Sarawak recorded no new positive Covid-19 case today, with the total number of positive cases in the state thus far remaining at 677.

Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said that six new recovery cases were discharged from the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH), comprising four from Kuching and two from Samarahan.

“This brings the total number of positive Covid-19 cases which have recovered and been discharged so far to 571 or 84.34 percent,” he said at the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) Covid-19 daily update press conference yesterday.

He said that 87 individuals were still undergoing treatment at hospital isolation wards and the cumulative number of deaths remained at 19 or 2.81 percent.

“Today (Thursday), nine new person-under-investigation (PUI) cases were reported and two are still awaiting test results. For samples which were taken during contact tracing and surveillance, a total of 1,182 are still awaiting test results,” he said.

He informed that ten clusters remained active in the state thus far.

With regard to persons-under-surveillance (PUS), he said that 36 PUS had been registered into hotels on Thursday to undergo quarantine, bringing the total number of PUS at 11 hotels to 683 while 19,255 PUS had completed their quarantine period.

Uggah, who is also SDMC chairman, said that the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) had issued 27 compound notices for non-compliance with the standard operating procedure (SOP) – nine in Miri, Padawan (seven), Sri Aman and Samarahan (three), Song (two) and one each in Saratok, Bau and Sarikei.

On Ops Benteng, he said that there were six roadblocks in five districts on Thursday, namely two in Lundu and one each in Bau, Serian, Sri Aman, and Lubok Antu. “From these six roadblocks, a total of 1,512 vehicles were checked.”

He reported that the Royal Malaysian Customs Department had successfully thwarted an attempt to smuggle undocumented immigrants (Pati) at Jalan Kuching/Serian.

“While carrying out Ops Benteng, an inspection on a van had discovered five Indonesian nationals hiding in the backseat. Further inspection found that all the Indonesian passengers had brought passports but did not have entry chops from the Immigration Department,” he said, adding that the driver who was a local had been detained to help in investigation.

Uggah said that on July 29, the Malaysian Armed Forces (ATM) had also caught two Indonesian immigrants around the CIQ Tebedu area, 200 metres from the Malaysia/Indonesia border.

The immigrants were brought to the Tebedu Police Station along with seized goods (mobile phone, cash, and personal belongings valued at RM3,300) for further action.