Experiences of a Covid-hit family

Some of Drus' family members. Photo: Mohd Alif Noni

KUCHING: 2021 has been a challenging year thus far for a family at Kampung Sinar Budi Baru, Batu Kawa here after every member tested positive for Covid-19.

Sharing the experience, Azimah Drus, one of the members of the big household, said everyone, including her father, mother, sister, brothers, brother-in-law, sister-in-law as well as four nephews were infected.

“It was a very challenging time. However, we continued to pray and trust in God that everything will be fine,” she said, adding that her father and mother had to undergo quarantine and rehabilitation at a quarantine centre while the rest, including herself, had to self-quarantine at home.

According to the 30-year-old, the quarantine period not only impacted her emotions but also her food business.

Azimah Drus

“It was quite stressful because during the one-month quarantine, I could not run my business, which is my main source of income.

“At the same time, I was thinking about the safety of my family members but we continue to persevere, remain patient and positive.

“Alhamdulillah, my family was able to get through the challenging period calmly,” she said, adding that she had to cancel all her Kek Batik orders totalling RM2,800 for Gawai Dayak after she was confirmed positive.

Recalling, Azimah said it started when her youngest brother, Amir Shafiq Drus, who was infected at his workplace — a factory.

“After my younger brother was confirmed positive, we immediately did a swab test. The first test was negative but all our family members were confirmed positive after undergoing the second test.

“Worried that we will be spreading the virus to the public, we underwent self-quarantine as soon as Amir finished his first swab test.

“Our house gate was always closed during the quarantine period as a precaution.”

Elaborating further, Azimah said although her family was the first to be infected in their residential area, she was thankful that her neighbours were understanding.

“I want to say thank you to all our neighbours who gave us food and other necessities, by hanging them on our house fence.

“Alhamdulillah, customers are back making reservations (for cakes) after my family was confirmed free of the virus.”

Meanwhile, Amir, 25, felt guilty for infecting his family. “It’s a lesson for me, that I need to always adhere to standard operating procedures (SOPs) strictly.”

He said his workplace adopted strict SOPs but that infection could have occurred as a result of poor ventilation.

Amir and his father had high fever while the others lost their sense of taste for a period of four to five days after being confirmed positive.

Drus Olek

Their father Drus Olek, 72, and mother Zohari Juki, 64, who was admitted to the quarantine centre for seven days, said they took advantage of the time available by praying and doing light exercises.

“Initially, we were placed at the Youth and Sports Complex for three days, then later sent to a quarantine centre in Kota Sentosa for four days after we did not show any symptoms.”

Drus said during the time, they received good treatment, their health status was checked twice a day and food was adequate.

“During quarantine, various things ran through my mind, especially when reading news related to Covid-19 deaths — what will happen to my family?

“But alhamdulillah, my whole family recovered. To the public, let us continue to follow SOPs and please, just stay at home.”

He also expressed his appreciation to his fellow villagers, especially members of the village development and security committee.

The family was confirmed free of Covid-19 on June 18, but members continued their quarantine after their residential area was subject to conditional movement control order from June 19 to 23.

Previous articleRM5 mln to upgrade Tedungan CIQS
Next articleSUPP Kuching vows to continue helping needy