Datuk Julaihi Narawi speaking to the local media.

BINTULU: The prolonged lockdown due to the Covid-19 pandemic has caused three months’ delay in the construction of Kemena-Jepak Bridge with a total length of 1.283km.

The cable-stayed bridge, fully funded by the state government is being built at a cost of RM 467 million, and was supposed to complete within 48 months.

The earth breaking ceremony was done on July 23 last year by the Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg.

“Currently construction has reached 3.94 percent and they are trying their very best to complete the bridge ahead of the completion scheduled,” said Assistant Minister of Infrastructure and Ports Development Datuk Julaihi Narawi.

He disclosed this when met at the bridge construction site in Bintulu on Thursday (July 2).

The state government is committed in ensuring that the project is complete on time for the Rakyat.

On another matter, he said that strict standard operating procedures (SOPs) had been enforced by the contractor to ensure workers’ continued adherence to the regulations while at the site.

“Foreign workers who returned to their respective countries during the enforcement of the movement control order (MCO) are not here at the work place; those that we have here (currently) are those workers who were here prior to the MCO,” he pointed out.