KUCHING: Sarawak recorded no new positive Covid-19 cases yesterday for the sixth consecutive days. As such, the total numbers of cases remain at 544 since the first positive case was reported on March 13.

Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas hoped the trend of no new cases would continue in the state.

He said two recoveries were reported and had been discharged from hospitals — one from Sarawak General Hospital (SGH) and the other one from Sibu Hospital.

“The total number of recoveries is 437 or 80.33 percent of the total cases,” he said during the daily Covid-19 press conference at the old State Legislative Assembly (DUN) building yesterday.

Uggah, who is also the State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) chairman, said31 more person under investigation (PUI) cases were recorded while 26 PUIs were awaiting laboratory test results.

He added the results would come out within 24 hours — proof that the hospitals had improved their efficiency on the testings.

Uggah said 89 cases were undergoing treatment in hospitals, with one case treated at the intensive care unit (ICU) and no patients under intubation support.

On the management of quarantine centres, he added 97 quarantine centres had been opened; 60 quarantine centres were for PUI cases and 37 quarantine centres for person under surveillance (PUS) cases.

“For the PUI quarantine centres, the bed capacity is 5,637 and the existing occupant is 4,291. In the designated hotels for quarantine which include 41 hotels for PUS, 5,378 rooms are available,” he said.

Sarawak Health Director Dr Chin Zin Hing said Sarikei MP Andrew Wong Ling Biu, who had tested positive for Covid-19, was still in the hospital.

“He is stable and alert, but still needs to undergo rehabilitation in the hospital,” said Chin.