Can ask barbers for proof of free Covid-19

Date:

PUTRAJAYA: Customers seeking haircuts have the right to ask their barbers for health certificates proving they have passed the Covid-19 test before using their services, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob. 

He said this was to ensure that the barber shops complied with the standard operating procedures (SOPs), especially when it involved immigrant barbers.

“Usually clinics which conducted the swab test will issue a letter stating that they (the barbers) are free from the virus. Patrons have the right to ask for that letter,” he said at the daily press conference on the recovery movement control order (RMCO) today.

Barber shops and hairdressing salons as well as beauty salons have been allowed to operate since June 10 during the RMCO period.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said customers could also help the government by relaying any complaints of barbers or hairdressers who failed to show proof that they are free from Covid-19.

“Barbers, especially foreigners, who fail to show proof when asked to be actually violating the stipulated SOPs and patrons can lodge complaints with the authorities,” he said.

Commenting on a report, which has gone viral, about a foreign barber having been tested positive for Covid-19 in Setapak, Ismail Sabri said he had yet to receive any reports from the health ministry but, if the report was true, then the premises would be shut down and those involved would be screened.

As for non-Muslim places of worship being allowed to operate, he said National Unity Minister Datuk Halimah Mohamed Sadique would present the new SOP at the special ministerial meeting on Covid-19 on Monday (June 15).

“So far, 171 non-Muslim places of worship have been allowed to operate, but they can only be opened important days. For example, churches can be opened on Sundays and limited to just 30 people at any one time. 

“Following changes to the SOP for mosques, I believe there will be changes to other places of worship as well,” he said.

Ismail Sabri also said that the directive on social distancing for factory and tourist buses was no longer applicable.

“This is because workers taking the factory buses have already been identified just like those taking tourist buses. For public buses, however, passengers still need to download the MySejahtera application,” he said. – Bernama

New user-friendly, green Lawas airport will be a boon to locals: Deputy Premier

KUCHING: The proposed new Lawas airport in Sundar, which construction work is expected to start by the first quarter of next year will be...

Share post:

Our Opinion

More like this
Related

Enticing Singaporeans at holidays fair

KUCHING: The Sarawak Tourism Board (STB) plans to take...

Man threatens own mother via WhatsApp fined RM3,500

KUCHING: A 26-year-old man who pleaded guilty to threatening...

Poor air quality in southern Sarawak: NREB

KUCHING: The air quality has been worse in some...

Bridge to improve road connectivity

LUNDU: The construction of Selampit Bridge will enhance road connectivity...

Culture of innovation means better services

KUCHING: Civil servants under the Ministry of Youth, Sports...

Trader fined RM1,000 for unlicensed deal

SIBU: A 58-year-old man was today fined RM1,000 in...

Crypto mining premises raided

SIBU: The police and Sarawak Electricity supply corporation (SESCO)...

Criticism against Pandelela uncalled for, Says Minos

KUCHING: The criticism levelled against Sarawak-born national diver Datuk...

Betong plays host to state-level National Day do

KUCHING: Betong Division will be hosting this year's state-level...

Illegal crypto mining premises busted

SIBU: Police have busted suspected illegal crypto mining at...

Raghad invited to declare open Amazing Race

KUCHING: Toh Puan Datuk Patinggi Raghad Kurdi Taib will...

Education – and teachers’ – dilemma in Malaysia

‘The Education Ministry will make things worse by announcing...