KOTA SAMARAHAN: The public are advised against speculating on the shooting incident involving the deaths of four Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) personnel at Kota Samarahan camp on Friday (Aug 13).
Deputy Police Commissioner Mancha Ata in a statement, stressed that any information on the personnel are to be kept confidential.
“This is to respect and maintain the sensitivity of their families.
“In addition, the public are strongly urged not to make any speculations and let the police investigate the incident,” he said.
In the 7.15 am incident, the suspect who was supposed to undergo quarantine as instructed by health authorities, went to the RMAF Handau Guard Station Squadron 330 and took a gun from the firearms depot.
His colleague tried to calm the suspect down but was shot in the abdomen. He was pronounced dead at 9.20am while receiving treatment at the Sarawak Heart Centre.
After that, the suspect shot his other colleague on his right chest and another one at the back, both of whom died on the spot.
The suspect, who is from Lundu and has served in the force for 10 years, later shot himself through the chin and died on the spot.
Mancha said forensic teams from Sarawak Police Contingent Headquarters (IPK) and Sarawak General Hospital (SGH) arrived at the scene and carried out investigations.
“So far, the investigation covers DNA samples taking, the gun, gunshot effects and bullet casings. The weapon will be sent to Sarawak IPK Forensics and the Department of Chemistry for further investigation.
“In addition, the police have also examined the closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage and witnesses will be called for further investigation,” he said.
He added that the motive and cause of the incident were still being investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.