KUCHING: The enhanced movement control order (EMCO) imposed in Kampung Haji Baki here will be lifted today.
Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas revealed this after results of second screening tests did not find new positive cases.
“We have already tested 3,264 residents (of Kampung Haji Baki) and today (Thursday) is the last result of the second screening test.
“Our procedure is for them to undergo a Covid-19 screening and on the third day, they will go for their second screening. Hence, today (Thursday), we already know the results. From the total figure, 33 of them are positive cases.
“The committee would like to extend its upmost gratitude to all the enforcement agencies and villagers for their successful cooperation in this EMCO period,” he said at the daily Covid-19 update press conference today.
Uggah pointed out that the EMCO period in Kampung Haji Baki was extended from Nov 7 as there were still tests that were not immediately known.
The deputy chief minister also said that Kampung Haji Baki is the first area to be placed under EMCO. Previously, the committee carried out active case detections (ACDs) in several areas, aimed to screen as many people as possible.
“For this area (Kampung Haji Baki), we locked the area down to ensure that all of them are screened. If our assets for contact tracing are able to work well and screen a lot of individuals, then we can see how the infection spreads.
“It is proven that we can cut the chain of transmission as there are only 33 positive cases in the area, while others have to comply with the EMCO rules by staying at home.
“More intensive testing will help us know the status of Covid-19 in that area,” he said, adding that the committee will implement such method to any areas found to have rising positive cases.
On roadblock inspections throughout Kuching, the police along with the army and the People’s Volunteer Corps (Rela) have inspected 9,539 vehicles, bringing the tally of cumulative vehicles inspected at 25,436.
“Apart from that, 23 compounds have been issued — 11 in Limbang, Kuching (eight) and two each in Sarikei and Betong.
“The Ministry of Local Government also issued 151 verbal, written and seizure warnings in areas under the supervision of various local councils,” he said.
Under Ops Benteng, 1,519 vehicles were inspected at seven roadblocks in six districts — two in Lawas and one each in Lundu, Bau, Serian, Sri Aman and Lubok Antu.