covid watch

KUCHING: All Malaysians coming in to Sarawak from Malaya, Sabah and Labuan will have to undergo mandatory quarantine in hotels from Aug 1.

The Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) announced this today after a special meeting chaired by Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg, to discuss the latest development of the Covid-19 pandemic in Kuching and Samarahan districts.

The meeting decided that immediate actions should be taken to control the spread of Covid-19 in Sarawak.

“For entry into Sarawak, all Malaysians from Peninsula, Sabah and Labuan will be quarantined in hotels and their Covid-19 PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test will be taken on the second day.

“If the test results are negative, then they will be allowed to go back after their quarantine period.

“Meanwhile, the entry of Sarawakians from overseas as previously announced is maintained,” SDMC said in a statement today.

It added that the Health Ministry (MOH) would increase the rate of active case detection (ACD) in Kota Sentosa due to the increasing number of cases from the Sentosa Cluster.

SDMC said it would announce other strategies in detail after they were refined. These included inter-district travel restrictions, reducing the number of flights and reducing the duration of business operations.

The committee also noted that Politeknik Kuching Sarawak would be postponing the opening of its June 2020 study session involving 825 new Semester 1 students and 3,538 senior students (Semester 2 to Semester 5).

The enrolment and hostel registration session for new students were initially scheduled from Aug 3 to Aug 7.   Returning students were supposed to register on Aug 7 and 8. In addition, a total of 471 students are currently undergoing industrial training.