Italy further tightens lockdown rules, closing all non-essential businesses
By:Bernama
Date:
Italy

ROME: In an unexpected announcement made via Facebook, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said late on Saturday that all commercial activities in the country would be shut down unless they performed an “essential” role for the country in its battle against the spread of coronavirus, reported Xinhua news agency.

With his declaration, Conte further tightened what is the most dramatic peacetime lockdown in recent history. Conte himself called the current crisis in Italy “the country’s most difficult since the end of World War II”.

Conte said that supermarkets and pharmacies would remain open, and banking and vital transport services would still be available, but that all non-essential commercial activities would be prohibited. That amounts to a near-total shutdown of the Italian economy, with factories and offices that had been able to operate in some limited capacity no longer operating.

The new rules are expected to enter into force starting Monday.

Conte spoke for less than five minutes with more than 30,000 people logged onto the site despite the fact that he spoke around 11.30 pm local time and with little advance notice. Conte said he was speaking via social media because of a desire to “operate with complete transparency”.

The news came hours after Italian civil defence officials in Rome revealed that Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, had claimed 793 more lives in Italy over the previous 24 hours. The number of active cases of the infection rose to nearly 43,000. – Bernama

New Sarawak Tribune e-Paper

Related Post

Ankara declares 7-day national mourning as over 2,300 killed in quake
17 hours ago
16 injured as express bus overturns 
2 days ago
ASEAN needs come back stronger together to achieve quality, sustainable tourism
2 days ago
US shoots down suspected Chinese spy balloon
3 days ago
S. Korean fishing boat capsized; 9 missing
3 days ago
Sri Lanka celebrates 75 year of independence from British rule
3 days ago
NASA orbiter finds bear-like face on Mars
6 days ago
Indonesian leprosy survivor crafts new limbs for shunned villagers
1 week ago

Promoted Content

Latest News

Dek Wan wins 100m title in World Para Athletics GP
8 hours ago
Passion for making bows churning good income for Zulkifli
8 hours ago
Tough to fit AFF Cup into Fifa calendar anytime soon: FAM
8 hours ago
Body of newborn found in garbage dumpsite
8 hours ago
Toshiba unveils intelligent power devices that minimise mounting areas
9 hours ago

Quicklinks

Subscribe and get the latest news from NewSarawakTribune.com.my

New Sarawak Tribune is a Sarawakian news portal that highlights Sarawak-centric news and other stories of relevance to Sarawak.

Today, New Sarawak Tribune focuses on happenings in Sarawak’s cities, towns and small places no matter how remote these are and events of relevance in other states of Malaysia and other countries.