MIRI: At least 20 people of the Kenyah community in Long Palai, Telang Usan were left homeless after a five-door longhouse was burnt to the ground early yesterday morning.
The victims are between the ages of six-months-old to 83.
No injuries or casualties were reported in the incident. Total loss from the incident is believed to be half a million ringgit.
According to Miri Fire and Rescue department chief Supt Law Poh Kiong, this was the second time that the longhouse was razed by a blaze since 2017.
Law said they received an alert on the incident at 4am yesterday.
“The longhouse is located at about a seven to eight-hour drive using the logging road,” he said.
He added it was believed that the fire might have started from a faulty connection to a solar panel from one of the longhouse’s doors.