Longhouse gutted, 20 homeless

The fire had completely destroyed the longhouse.

MIRI: At least 20 people of the Kenyah community in Long Palai, Telang Usan were left homeless after a five-door longhouse was burnt to the ground early yesterday morning.

The victims are between the ages of six-months-old to 83.

No injuries or casualties were reported in the incident. Total loss from the incident is believed to be half a million ringgit.

According to Miri Fire and Rescue department chief Supt Law Poh Kiong, this was the second time that the longhouse was razed by a blaze since 2017.

Law said they received an alert on the incident at 4am yesterday.

“The longhouse is located at about a seven to eight-hour drive using the logging road,” he said.

He added it was believed that the fire might have started from a faulty connection to a solar panel from one of the longhouse’s doors.

The fire had completely destroyed the longhouse.
Previous articleA celebration of integrity, accountability
Next articleKeeping culture, tradition alive