Uggah speaking at the press conference yesterday. Photo: Mohd Alif Noni

KUCHING: Sarawak recorded another positive Covid-19 case yesterday from Sibu – a student who had returned from Temboro Karas Magetan, East Java, Indonesia.

Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said that in this student’s case, polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests had been taken while he was undergoing 14-day quarantine at Pullman Hotel Kuching, and the results were negative twice.

“So, he was allowed to return to Sibu for home quarantine. Before he was discharged from home quarantine, a third test was done by the Sibu Division Health Office and he was found to be positive for Covid-19,” he said.

Uggah was speaking at the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) Covid-19 press conference at the old State Legislative Assembly (DUN) building in Petra Jaya yesterday.

He said that the case was being treated at Sibu Hospital.

He added the number of person under investigation (PUI) cases reported yesterday was 62 while the total number of PUIs still pending laboratory results was 15.

“Sixteen cases have recovered and were discharged from hospitals. Of these 16, 14 are from the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH) and two are from Sibu Hospital,” said Uggah, who is also SDMC chairman.

Overall, he said 71.69 per cent of Covid-19 cases in the state had recovered, amounting to 390 cases.

As of yesterday, the total number of Covid-19 cases in the state was 544 since the first positive case was reported on March 13. The number of cases being treated at hospitals stood at 136, with one in intensive care unit (ICU) and none requiring intubation (breathing assistance).

On the active case detection ACD operation carried out at Kampung Tabuan Lot, he said the progress had been very encouraging.

“We actually do not really have to go door-to-door because many have already come forward to the screening centre. I must thank the people at Kampung Tabuan Lot as the cooperation is very good,” commented Uggah.