KUCHING: The second edition of Sarawak AgroFest 2019 will be held at Celebration Square, Stadium Negeri in Petra Jaya here from Nov 21 to Dec 1.
Organised by the Ministry of Agriculture, Native Land and Regional Development (Manred), the theme for the premier agriculture show is “Agriculture transformation through smart technology”.
Agriculture, Native Land and Regional Development Assistant Minister Datuk Roland Sagah Wee Inn said this year’s edition would bring together some 300 exhibitors from different parts of Sarawak as well as from Sabah and Peninsular Malaysia.
“This is an addition of 100 more exhibitors from the 2018 festival,” he said.
“Relevant agriculture government agencies and institutions will also be participating to offer the latest insights on agriculture policies and industry support services related to the development of the agriculture sector in the state.”
He was representing Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas at a press conference on Sarawak AgroFest 2019 at Pullman Hotel here yesterday.
Sagah added that the Sarawak AgroFest aimed to provide a dynamic platform for farmers, agro entrepreneurs agriculture suppliers and industry players to showcase their products and services as well as to enable the investors to explore business and investment opportunities in agriculture sector in Sarawak.
Sarawak AgroFest is an important initiative under the State Agriculture Transformation Plan through modernisation and commercialisation, towards making Sarawak as an agriculture hub in the region.
“Hence, Sarawak AgroFest is indeed fittingly organised to showcase the latest agriculture technology particularly smart farming technology in promoting Sarawak as the nation first runner in modern farming.
“This is in tandem with the state government’s digital economy policy as well as to realise our vision to make Sarawak as the nett exporter of food by 2030,” he continued.
Sagah further stated that the various components in the festival which would involve both public agencies and private companies were exhibition; product sales; Modern Farming Showcase including Greenhouse; business matching; convention, seminar, courses and mini talks; product demonstration; Agriculture Innovation Competition; award and recognition for agropreneurs; as well as cultural and talent performances.
Among the major events and activities that will be happening at the Sarawak AgroFest are:
1) Agro Agency Pavilion — which will showcase agriculture development transformation policies, plans and initiatives by government agencies, institutions and anchor companies. For this year’s Sarawak AgroFest, the pavilions will be based on sectors such as Commodities, Food Crops, Aquaculture, Livestock, Agro-Based, Farm Technology, Farm Inputs, Food Processing Equipment & Machines and Marketing & Financial Services.
2) AgroTrade Pavilion — Exhibition and sales of agriculture produces, agro-based products, processing technology and marketing services.
3) AgroTech Pavilion — Exhibitions and sales of agriculture technology including farm machineries and equipment and farm input.
4) Agro Fresh Garden — Exhibitions, sales and competitions of agriculture crops seedlings, fruits and flowers.
5) Sarawak Food Pavilion — Sales of exotic and indigenous Sarawak food and beverages.
6) Smart Farming Pavilion — Showcase of modern and precision farming technology such as farm digital technology with the use of Internet of Things (IoT), land and soil mapping technology, fertigation, Nutrient Film Technology (NFT) and hydroponics farming systems. A Greenhouse equipped with IoT technology will also be showcased.
7) Sarawak Zoo — Showcase livestock industry including Edible Bird Nest (EBN).
8) Sarawak Aquaria — Exhibit the promoted and high-value fish and shrimps with high potential for export and sales of aquaculture industry products.
9) Agro Trade Talks — Conventions, seminars, short courses and mini talks on topics along the agriculture sub-sectors value and supply chain.
10) Anugerah Tani Jaya (ATJ) — Presentation of awards to successful farmers, breeders, agro entrepreneurs and young agro entrepreneurs.
11) Magical Garden — Showcases exotic Borneo flowers and plants.
12) Agro Hackhaton — Competition among aspiring digital and web-applications programmers. It is open to students of higher institutions of learning.
13) Agro Run (5km).
14) Lucky Draw, Performances and Competitions — cultural, beauty pageant, talent show, games and many more.
Members of the public, young and old are invited to visit Sarawak AgroFest 2019, to get the latest information as well as to enjoy all the activities and programmes organised through the festival.
Visit the festival’s website at www.sarawakagrofest.com.my for latest information on the happenings and contact details.
Also present at the press conference were Agriculture, Native Land and Regional Development Assistant Minister Datuk Dr Abdul Rahman Ismail; Manred acting permanent secretary Awang Johari Awang Mustapha; State Department of Veterinary Services (DVS) director Dr Adrian Susin Ambud; Sarawak Land Development Board (SLDB) general manager Siang Mandaw; Sarawak Land Consolidation and Rehabilitation Authority (Salcra) deputy general manager Joseph Blandoi and Manred head of commercialisation of agriculture division Dr Gluma Saban.