Uggah speaks at the press conference. Photo: Ukas

KUCHING: From Sept 26 to Oct 14, a total of 52 positive Covid-19 cases have been detected in Sarawak, involving 47 citizens and five non-citizens.

Providing an overview of the Covid-19 situation from Sept 26 to date, Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas disclosed that 24 of the cases (46.15 percent) had a history of travel from Sabah.

“This matter is in line with the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee’s (SDMC) directives which make it compulsory for all entries from Sabah to be swabbed and quarantined for 14 days at the quarantine centre,” he said at the SDMC Covid-19 update press conference today.

He said that as a result of reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (rT-PCR) tests conducted, 10 cases were found positive during the first screening while 14 cases were positive during the second screening on Day 10 within the quarantine period.

“Six cases (11.53 percent) had a history of travel from West Malaysia, of which five (83.33 percent) came from Kuala Lumpur and one (16.66 percent) came from Perak.”

According to Uggah, who is also SDMC chairman, six cases (11.53 percent) were categorised as Import A – cases with a history of overseas travel.

These were broken down into two cases (33.3 percent) from India, two (33.3 percent) from Myanmar, one (16.6 per cent) from Kuwait, and one (16.6 percent) from Arab Saudi.

“All these cases were detected via the first rT-PCR Covid-19 test.”

He informed that 16 cases (30.76 percent) were local infections involving 15 locals and one Indonesian national.

As of today, there were still two active clusters in Sarawak, namely the Bah Arnab Cluster in Kuching and the Putra Cluster in Bintulu.

Forty-five people are still undergoing treatment at hospital isolation wards, namely 25 in Sarawak General Hospital, nine in Miri Hospital, seven in Bintulu Hospital, and four in Sibu Hospital.

Kuching, Sibu, Bintulu, and Lubok Antu were still categorised as yellow zones as of Wednesday.

With regard to the contact tracing for the three positive cases reported in Lubok Antu, Uggah said 36 contacts had been screened. Of these, 35 were negative while one was still pending laboratory results.

For the two positive cases in Sibu (Cases 714 and 715), 131 contacts had been screened, one of which was positive and 130 negative.